Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Middle School: Safe Online Talk

Curriculum Scope and Sequence: Information Literacy Standards for Student Learning -
Standard 3: Students Use of Information
3.1 Demonstrate ethical, legal, and safe use of information in print, media and online resources.

  • practice safe handling of personal information online
  • recognize academic uses of social networking sites and understand how to use them safely (e.g., know how to adjust privacy settings)
  • practice ethical behavior in online interactions
  • identify what constitutes an "uncomfortable" interaction online and how to handle it effectively

Perspectives on chatting safely online from common sense media

  • What advice did the teens share in the video?
  • Would you add any advice of your own?


Internet Safety Tips from Common Sense Media - If you develop a friendship with someone online, be sure to ask yourself the following questions:

  • Has this person asked me to keep any information secret?
  • Has this person flirted with me, or asked me about anything sexual?
  • Has this person asked me about anything private?
  • Have I felt pressured by this person to do anything?
  • Do I feel untrue to myself - like I'm not sticking to my values - when I talk to this person?
If the answer is "Yes," then this friendship is risky and it's time to stop talking to this person. You deserve better!